Monday, December 24, 2012

Coconut-Cranberry Macaroons

'Ello blog world. I hope you are all having a merry Christmas Eve. Tonight I bring you ezpz Coconut-Cranberry Macaroons.

I made these for a friend's Chanukah party, because, apparently, macaroons are Chanukah friendly (and also delicious). I had never made macaroons before, but the recipe seemed straightforward enough so I decided to give it a go. They were easy...but messy...so, so messy. Omg messy.

First it started with a wet batter of sugar, egg whites, cranberries, orange zest, vanilla, an salt that looked a little like, well, I probably don't need to actually write down what this looks like...

 

Blech. 

But then I added in the shredded coconut and I suddenly had a beautiful, fluffy, delicious coconut batter that reminded me of a snow ball. I was eating spoonfuls of this batter directly from the bowl.


This is where things got messy. The recipe suggests wetting your fingers and forming little pyramids which are then placed on parchment paper lined baking sheets. Somehow, these directions made me believe that wetting my fingers would help the coconut stick to other coconut bits and not to my fingers. The coconut did stick to other coconut bits, but then the new, larger coconut chunks still stuck to my fingers. My hands quickly came to resemble what I like to think of as a new muppet: Coconut Monster. She's like Cookie Monster but instead of blue fur she's cover in shredded coconut. 


Eventually I formed all of the "pyramids" and baked them in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes (about half the time the recipe called for). They were perfect! Not too dry but still held together. I'd call them a success. 



No comments:

Post a Comment