Monday, January 17, 2011

Meat-ah balls!

Before I get to the cooking, I have to say that my previous blog about my sewing machine turned out to be bad luck. The very next day the machine's belt broke with only 3 seams left on one of my two curtain panels. ugh. I've ordered what I believe to be the appropriate replacement belt...but the machine is from the 60's...so...who really knows if it will fit.

That said, Simon and I made scrumptious meatball subs the other night via recipe in this book:


Recipe is way simpler than expected; they also cooked way faster than expected.

Ingredients include:

1 lb ground beef
1/2 cup dried bread crumbs
1 clove minced garlic
2 tbs parsley
1 tbs basil
1 egg
1/2 tps salt
1/4 tps pepper
2 tbs oil
4 cups tomato sauce
Parmesan cheese


Mix it all together, roll into 1 1/2 inch balls and brown in the heated oil:


Once browned, drain the grease and pour in the tomato sauce. Cover, and simmer for 25 minutes. We stirred it occasionally to make sure all of the meatballs stayed submerged in the sauce and didn't dry out.


Once done, scoop them out, place them in some french baguette, sprinkle with parmesan cheese, and nom! They were really, really good. The meatballs were really, really hot, so give them some time to cool down before you take a big bite, or at least cut them open a little bit and let the steam fly out.


The perfect winter meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment